Thursday, May 22, 2008

FINALLY, A PLACE TO CALL HOME

Fewer than two months after my 30th birthday, I bought my first house!!

I am now the proud owner of a tini-tiny, two-bedroom "townhouse". It is more like a two-level condo, but the Home Owner's Association considers it a townhouse, so HOORAY for no condo fees!!

Circa 2007, I started to feel the effects of having no home, no roots, no family; and after a decade (my twenties) of posing as a working-class vagabond, I got my life together enough to purchase a little piece of the planet.

This means something.
  • It means that I don't have to fight with the rental office because my rent just increased by another seventy-five dollars a month.

  • It means that I cannot call the rental office when my toilet refuses to flush, so I have to keep a plunger and the Yellow Pages on standby.

  • It means that I can paint my walls any color I want!!!

  • It means I won't owe 2008 taxes! YAAY!!!
  • It means I have a home.

    I suspect owning a home will bring into my life a much-needed sense of stability. But, there is something bigger here that I can't quite put my fingers on. Somehow my life has changed--even though I feel the same. Perhaps I will be enlightened when I make my first mortgage payment in July or when I actually paint and get some furniture.

    Feel free to post comments about what owning a home means.

    -rzl

1 comment:

Todd said...

Hi Ramona,

thanks for the note on my blog, and congratulations on your house--how exciting!

I hope you can join us soon; we'd love to meet you.

Todd